Gimme The Gig

Friday, May 25, 2012

10 Things You Didn't Know About Josh Blackburn

Each week, we will be profiling one of our top artists who will be performing in front of the legendary Don Was!

This week we had the chance to catch up with Denver artist Josh Blackburn.

Originally from Jackson, Mississippi; Josh Blackburn is one of the only two solo artists that have the opportunity to play in front of Don Was in Gimme the Gig II. His style combines a mixture of classic rock, adult contemporary and an occasional outburst of trippy guitar effects. Josh Blackburn compliments his skillful guitar-playing with a rich gravelly voice that’s always in control – showing he’s worth his weight as a solo musician. With four self-recorded and produced albums, this is one solo artist you wouldn’t want to miss. 


 Josh Blackburn

Read our exclusive interview below, and discover 10 things you didn't know about Josh Blackburn!

GTG: Where was your live performance on the Gimme the Gig II Focus Tour?

Josh: Mine was in downtown Denver, at the Taste of Colorado.

GTG: Did you get the chance to sit and try out the new Ford Focus there? What was your favorite feature of the Focus?

Josh: I really like the gas mileage, I travel quite a bit and it would save me a lot of money.

GTG: What is one thing about you we would never guess?

Josh: I don’t like to wear shorts or short sleeve shirts, ever, no matter what. I have a thing that I just don’t feel comfortable in shorts or short sleeve shirts.

GTG: How did you decide to use your real name vs. a stage name as a musician?

Josh: It’s just the fact that Josh Blackburn is kind of a good stage name; my Mom did really good with that. Plus, it’s kind of like homage to my parents.

GTG: What’s the most embarrassing thing that ever happened to you on stage?

Josh: I have gotten to a show and realized that I have no guitar. I had to go home and get it and then end up playing late.

GTG: What’s the hardest thing about being an independent artist?

Josh: The hardest thing about it is how much you have to market yourself and work extremely hard to get radio play. Unless you have a large financial backing, it’s very hard to market yourself. Getting yourself played on a national radio station is pretty much undoable as an independent artist unless you have someone paying the stations to play your songs.

GTG: What’s your favorite thing to eat for dinner on the road?

Josh: I really like chicken wings a lot after a show. Never before a show, though – I don’t eat before a show.

GTG: Do you have any guilty pleasures?

Josh: Buying guitars! I have a fascination with guitars and beautiful wooden objects. (laughs)

GTG: What “inconvenient truths” does the independent scene not want the general public to know?

Josh: How hard it is to make money as an independent artist. Everything is flipped upside down; you have to pay to play for exposure. For certain venues, you have to pay to play there. You spend money to play at cool place just for your resume, and a lot of people don’t understand that.

GTG: What’s on the horizon for Josh Blackburn?

Josh: I just released my 3rd album and I play 8 shows a week right now; I keep myself completely busy. My short term goal would be for people outside the state of Colorado to hear my music.

Check out Josh Blackburn’s video message to Gimme the Gig and his fans below!


Make sure to check out his 4th album “Purple Elephant” available soon.

You can “Like” him at http://www.facebook.com/fearlesstone and you can follow him at http://www.twitter.com/fearlesstone. If you are a fan, give him a shout out on the Gimme the Gig II Facebook page!

1 comment:

  1. You can also check out Josh's website at www.joshblackburn.com where you can listen to his music and buy his albums.

    ReplyDelete