Gimme The Gig

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Slant “Take 5” with Ford’s Gimme the Gig

Today we spoke to Slant and learned some fun things about them. Since the word “slant” basically means to view or interpret in a different way, they decided to call themselves that because they slant their music. Read on to learn other interesting things about Slant.

GTG: What was your main inspiration to form a band and get into music?

Munir (Guitar): Growing up, I was always around music at home. I was given a walkman at the age of three for long trips because it was the only thing that kept me from getting motion sickness when I was young. I loved the fact that different types of music would make you feel different, such as sadness, energy, anger etc. From that I wanted to create art that would make people feel something.
Jimmy Lee(Drummer):  Listening to all sorts of music as I grew up, I somehow formed this drive to play music. I wanted to be like my idols and be an amazing drummer. I felt this desire to play & enjoy music for the rest of my life. Thanks to the support of my mom and putting me through a music school, I was able to really discover, dive in to, and appreciate the art of music. Now I cannot go a day without some form of music being in my ears. I love it! Then eventually my life crossed paths with Slant and that is how the universe was made.
Ilya (Bassist): When I was a kid I used take a broom and act as though it was a guitar or a microphone. I have always dreamed of being on stage, entertaining people, and being a role model to some youngster and now I have a chance to fulfill that dream.

GTG: Tell me about the song youentered into Gimme The Gig and why you chose it.

Munir (Guitar): "All I'm Good For" is the song we chose. The song's meaning is very close to us and depicts an emotion of losing one's self and climbing out of it. It is a song that grew during the recording the Self Titled album "Slant".

GTG: Who is your biggest influence in music and are there any current bands out there that you really admire?

Munir (Guitar): That list that can go on for pages. So I'm going to name the first few that pop into my head; The Deftones, Nirvana, The Doors, Adele, Alien Ant Farm, At the drive in, Tool, Avenged Sevenfold, Cream, Nat king Cole, The Used, Saosin.
Jimmy Lee (Drummer): Too many big influences to name. It's almost like it varies day by day. I would say some current bands I've been listening to lately would be Tool, Trivium, Avenged Sevenfold, and the group LMFAO (yes, I know they aren't a rock band but they still have a driving beat to their music).
Ilya (Bassist): GN'R was my biggest influence at first, and when I actually started playing music I got into bands like Rush, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Pantera and Alice in Chains - to list a few. My current favorite bands would include Tool, Avenge Sevenfold, Alien Ant Farm and very many others.

GTG: What would you say to Don Was if he were sitting next to you?  

Munir (Guitar): What is the craziest thing you have seen in the studio?
Jimmy Lee (Drummer):  "What's up dude?"

GTG: Can you tell us something interesting about yourself that your fans would never know about?

Munir (Guitar): I'm scared of spiders.
Jimmy Lee (Drummer): Sometimes I put my iPod on, go for a hike in the hills, and envision that I'm playing our music in front of 100,000 people & they know all the lyrics to our songs.

GTG: What keeps you dedicated to music and the industry, especially when facing tough obstacles and competition?

Munir (Guitar): It would have to be the fans and the art of writing music. That can't ever be tainted.
Jimmy Lee (Drummer): I guess growing up the way I did just makes me push hard and play harder. I can have no money and living pay check to pay check and still love life as long as I have some form of instrument with me. It's an unexplainable drive that I have I guess.

Thanks for taking the time to speak with us! All fans of Slant: don't forget to vote for them on Gimme The Gig!  

No comments:

Post a Comment